Introduction My Builder's Log My Flight Log Tips List of Builders Gallery Ideas for Paint Links News



April 2003
This month is dedicated to taking care of the little jobs that need to be completed. For the past several months I have been focused on large tasks that take up the whole month, so in a way, this is a break and I am jumping all over the place. First thing to do is sit down and make out a list of what I want to accomplish. First, finish hydraulics and dump valve plumbing. I have been thinking of plumbing my dump lines outside the console for testing, but after setting the console in and assessing how I will access my lines, I decide to cut generous holes for servicing and utilize a one-piece cover plate. In the above image, the blue colored area is where the access plate will go. I will later make a pattern and fabricate this out of .05 sheet aluminum (great tip from Steve Cowell).

The dump valve lines were so easy to make I can't believe I put them off as long as I did. I started out with some electrical wire to make templates and just matched up the bends. I made careful marks on the console so that the lines will connect up when the console is installed. So now I am finally finished with my hydraulics and ready to cycle, but Rob Logan's advice kept ringing in my head "don't fill the hydraulic system until you're totally finished with the bottom". That means my cycle tests will be put off until I can begin and finish my wings. Uggg.




Back to the little stuff. Fix the twist on the top of my rudder (using a heat gun and clamps) and fix the minor twist in my trim tab. This one required a bit more work. I began by splitting it, clamping out the twist and using flox to set and cure. I bonded on a scrap of carbon as a guide where I would need to fill and sand straight. The idea was to get it to transition from the rudder top to bottom. I also addeda one-bid glass over the hinge rivets so they won't crack my paint later on.



Fabricating these trim servo fairings turned out to be pretty easy once I made my pattern and taped it in position. I was careful to make sure the servo arm would clear and applied a three-bid lay-up over the pattern. I left it out in the sun and had it cured, trimmed, fitted and bonded in position within three hours. That's making progress! I made a set for Ron Jones, Jim Thomas and Scott Alair. All of them have been pretty helpful and it was a quick and easy way to return the many favors.



Also on my list was the installation of the canopy lock that Valin and Allyson Thorn engineered, plus taking it a step further from Jim Thomas' thinking. I began by drilling out the hole and test fitting. Once I was happy with the fit, function and location, I set the lock into position with super glue. Flox was applied around the lock and into the remaining void. After that cured I made phenolic walls and bonded them on with a three-bid lay-up. I floxed in my rudder cable bushings and backfilled some voids in the trailing edges of my canopy. This is preparation for the release I will do around the trailing edge to match canopy to fuselage.


Next month my plane goes into a hanger spot with Ron Jones. I will finally be able to work on my wings and flaps and
we are all looking forward to the next Legacy builder's get-together and fly-in.






Home | Introduction | My Builder's Log | My Flight Log | Tips | Legacy Builders | Legacy Gallery | Ideas For Paint | Links | Legacy News

Copyright © 2005. All rights reserved. This site is the builder's log of Don Barnes and for the purpose of sharing information and opinions related to building a Lancair Legacy. Any person using these images, ideas and tips does so at their own discretion and risk. No responsibility is expressed or implied and is without recourse against anyone related to this site. This site is not affiliated with Lancair International or Neico Aviation Inc., however, we love their aircraft.

Design by Cellar Ideas and produced with GoLive CS. Hosting generously provided by Rob Logan