Introduction My Builder's Log My Flight Log Tips List of Builders Gallery Ideas for Paint Links News

August 2003
Wings are still coming along slowly. I am using a technique from Ron Jones by working AeroPoxy light filler into the small pin holes instead of primer. The flap hinge fairings Ron Jones is selliing in his Speed Mod kit are bonded in, filled and sanding continues.

I did get my tip light shape cut out of the wing tips and I am working on creating the lens shelf and bulkhead. It has become more work than I expected, but will be worth the effort when finished.

After multiple applications of micro, my elevators are perfectly straight. I can lay a straight edge on its side and not see any more light from the minor low spots. No bows, dips or warps. I created the finished trailing edge by bonding in foam with flox and finishing with a little micro. The foam was recessed in approximately 1/8". The whole task took about an hour.

I'm having a hard time getting out to the hangar and trying to get something done every day. By bringing things home, I can keep moving along. My new project is the canopy. I started by doing a release around the hinges and I made a flox release around the canopy latches. I really like the way it came out. I did this in two steps in order to allow some travel for adjusting later on. The best part is that it looks clean and finished.

The main reason for bringing the canopy home was to work the edge between the Plexiglas and frame. Once a final line is established, I masked it off with striping tape I got from an auto body supply store. I masked off two layers and began prepping for micro. The good news is that micro adheres to the plexi very well and sanding it back down to the tape will not scratch the glass. I was careful to really build up the masking tape and this will be an ongoing project. Once I finish the inside I will move to the outside and it will go back on my plane to blend the outer edges.

This is my improved center console. I never liked the step and wanted something to match the modern lines of the Legacy. I recessed my holes and after doing a release around the controls, I taped them into position and floxed the shafts in. The custom shafts act as a spacer and back stop for the control cable and nut. The whole thing gets micro and is sanded. It looks great, and just as everything else that is adding to my build time, is worth the effort.

I am now feeling beyond the half-way mark. My instrument panel is finished. I had Lancair Avionics build it with Jordan Bach doing all the work. I had been working on the design even before I bought my kit and my goal was always to have a panel that was fully IFR, functional, but as clean and simple as I could get it. Staying within a strict budget I set, I have the perfect panel for me with GPS redundancy and a top auto pilot (TruTrak).

The level of craftsmanship Jordan put into it is beyond words. It looks like it was wired by a machine! I got the complete wire harness too and that will make the task of wiring the plane a lot quicker. The whole experience with Lancair Avionics was great and I could not be happier. Thanks Jordan!.

Home | Introduction | My Builder's Log | My Flight Log | Tips | Legacy Builders | Legacy Gallery | Ideas For Paint | Links | Legacy News

Copyright © 2005. All rights reserved. This site is the builder's log of Don Barnes and for the purpose of sharing information and opinions related to building a Lancair Legacy. Any person using these images, ideas and tips does so at their own discretion and risk. No responsibility is expressed or implied and is without recourse against anyone related to this site. This site is not affiliated with Lancair International or Neico Aviation Inc., however, we love their aircraft.

Design by Cellar Ideas and produced with GoLive CS. Hosting generously provided by Rob Logan